Why are people that are into spirituality almost always skinny and not into food? or drink, and a lot of the time they seem vaguely disapproving about sex and singing and dancing and joking and general revelry and sensuality.
Buddha was fat
I can't think of many "aesthetes" into the bacchanalian thing, although I suppose Aleister Crowley, and William Blake said "rather a baby strangled in its cot then a desire left unfulfilled". And Bhagwan Rajneesh who these days seeems to be called Osho and is in any case I believe dead, he was into everything that was pleasurable, apparently.
But its incredibly annoying actually that people can't be curious and fascinated and awed by the mystery and wonder of it all without being sanctimonious and prissy about it at the same time.
Of course that doesn't apply to everyone really, but in my own circle it seems to be a bit the norm. The people I can have a laugh with tend to be pragmatic and "realist" and think everything is totally random and nothing has a reason and things just happen and it all means nothing and then you die. And the people who talk about meaning and patterns and multiple realities and all that are humourless bastards! Which is a pity as it seems to me bizarre, actually, to be living here on this planet hurtlng through space with just a few short years alloted to each of us and history behind us the unknown ahead, and chaos all around and so much suffering and madness and despair as well as beauty and harmony, and not to want to know just a little bit more about what it all means! Even if it isnt possible to know it just seems incredible not to want to know.
On another tack, (enough of all the metaphysical stuff for tonight), I've listed below some of the books I've just finished. I love reading and look forward to an hour or more with a good book every night. Among my favourite writers are Paul Theroux, Phillip K. Dick, Margeret Atwood, Dirk Bogarde, Theodore Sturgeon, Ed McBain, James Ellroy.
Off I go, goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment